January 30, 2013
AIA Cincinnati has a complete set of 2011 Kaplan ARE study guides for all interns/graduates as an aid in studying for the Architectural Registration Examination. AIA membership is not required. Contact Paul Shirley, Assoc. AIA at GBBN Architects (513.241.8700) or AIA Cincinnati Executive Director, Pat Daugherty, Hon. AIA (513.421.4661).
1. Each item may be checked out for two weeks.
2. Only one item can be checked out at a time.
3. Item must be returned before you can obtain additional study guides.
1. Bring back items in the same condition that you received them.
2. Do not lend the items to others.
June 28, 2012
Whether the subject of structures falls under the direct responsibility of the architect or under the responsibility of a structural consultant, properly designed building structure are critical in protecting the safety of building occupants. This significant role means that the subject of structural systems must be thoroughly understood in order for architects to properly integrate structural elements into their designs and permit constructive interaction with other members of the building team.
The Structural Systems exam is among the most daunting of ARE exams due to the technical nature of the subject and the wide array of problems that may be presented. Candidates will find questions covering statics, wood construction, concrete, steel, foundations, long span structural systems and connections. Candidates must be familiar with the Manual of Steel Construction. Familiarity of how to utilize the charts, tables and formulas is key to passing this ARE exam.
- Focused discussion on: General Structures, Wood Construction, Steel Construction, Concrete Foundations, Lateral Forces-Wind and Seismic.
- Strengthen your ability incoporate Codes and Regulations in the design of structural systems.
- Run through the SS Vignette step by step, discussing tips to take the stress away.
When: Tuesday, June 18, 2013; 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Where: McGill Smith Punshon, 3700 Park 42 Dr., Suite 190B, Cincinnati, OH 45241
Cost: Associate AIA Member $15; AIA Member Sponsored $20; Non-Members $30
Registration Deadline: Friday, June 14, 2013
Instructors: Michael Skolnik, PE, GE Aviation; Paul Shirley, Assoc. AIA, GBBN Architects; and Ali Fischer, Assoc. AIA, PEDCO E&A Services